It's been a crazy, revolutionary and liberating year for women. From equal rights, physical abuse, rape and even loss of life.
Women are victimised in different aspects of life and unfortunately it is hard for them to establish a sense of security anywhere. We feel a sense of fear in our day to day lives, in the most random situations. Crossing the street, going to lunch with our friends, driving home after a long day... It is unfair for us to feel this way.
While the onus of giving voice and seeking peace rests within us a collective community, it is important to also preach the message of self defence because if the world wont protect us, we must at least be able to protect ourselves.
Many people attribute physical benefits to self-defence, when in fact; the majority of the benefits are actually mental. Imagine the confidence that comes with going to war and having the right ammunition.
We constantly pray for safety and all too often we say “that could never happen to me” but when it does, it is best to be prepared.
If you are questioning the legality of these skills, I'm happy to tell you that the right of self-defence is a legal justification for the use of force in times of danger. The ability to defend yourself is an important life skill.
Why YOU should take up self defence classes as a woman:
- The most substantial benefit of learning self-defence for women may be the knowledge and awareness of lifesaving techniques plus the fact that you learn how to physically defend yourself.
- It is a channel and source of freedom for women in a world that isn't feminine friendly. It empowers women and helps them find safety in difficult situations.
- Boundary-setting is an important piece of feminist self-defence because it can help women avoid situations in which assault could occur.
- It builds confidence, especially in physical resistance skills thereby allowing the feeling of calm and power even in potentially dangerous places.
- It strengthens the ability to use the appropriate language and de-escalation techniques to help establish firm boundaries.
- most importantly, it teaches discipline. This is self-explanatory in itself as you'd have to be devoted in order to master the.moves and skills.
It is amazing how much you can learn. If someone tries to grab a woman who is trained in self-defence, tries to take advantage of her, or worse, tries to rape or kidnap her, she will know the necessary techniques to save her life.
While there are easy skills you can learn from YouTube and some other sites online, if you are in Nigeria, there are a few trainers/teachers who teach the skills necessary for self defence.